By Katya Ward Humans are an ever-growing species. We will continue to grow and grow and grow. The human population increases each year by about 1.1% or 84 million people according to Our World in Data. With this increase each year, the expansion of human development and transformation also rises. The human race continues to transform the world around them as they grow. Along with this transformation comes destruction. The rapid expansion of the human race is taking a toll on the world itself. Natural habitats, animals, plants, and more are being dangerously affected by the rapid growth of humans; … Continue reading The Nature Conservancy in Relation to Aldo Leopold
By John Stannard Nebraska’s Big Game Society (NBGS) is an organization within the state that looks to protect and preserve the habitats of big game animals such as elk, big horn sheep and antelope. According the the NBGS website, one of the ways they try to help conserve their habitats’ are to purchase land from land owners and turn them into habitats for the big game to roam. They must buy the land because 95% of the land in Nebraska is privately owned and the other 5% are state owned parks that cannot home these animals. They cannot house the … Continue reading Nebraska Big Game Society and Aldo Leopold: Men Against the Destruction of the Land and Animals
By Abigail Siedell As a part of this project, I chose to research a conservation group based out of the University of Nebraska – Lincoln City Campus, called “Husker Cats.” Husker Cats’s number one goal is to “ensure a high quality of life for cats living in feral colonies on campus” (Husker Cats). While the organization strives to keep the living conditions for the feral cats safe, they also make it a priority to “prevent potential damage to the beauty and safety of UNL grounds and gardens” (Husker Cats). One of the main services Husker Cats provides is the “trap-neuter/spay-release” … Continue reading Modern Day Conservation: Would Aldo Leopold Approve of Husker Cats?
By McKenzie Sedlak With revenues reaching almost $224 million just last year alone and with over 700,000 members, Ducks Unlimited is the leading duck conservation organization in North America. According to their website, Ducks Unlimited has the goal to conserve, restore and manage wetlands and associated habitats for North America’s waterfowl. However, the benefits from restored wetlands not only help the birds, but they also help many people throughout the United States as well. With the majority of its members being hunters, the conservation efforts are exceptionally successful. According to their website, Ducks Unlimited is a non-profit organization that … Continue reading Ducks Unlimited Resolutions for Aldo Leopold
By Emma Scholtes The Pioneers Park Nature Center is an educational nature center and wildlife sanctuary located in Pioneers Park in Lincoln, Nebraska. Instituted on May 21, 1963, the center is home to 668 acres of woodlands, wetlands, and prairie. It also provides two main educational facilities and well over eight miles of trails. The first educational facility, the Chet Ager Building, was built between 1963 and 1964. The second facility, the Prairie Building, was completed over a span of seventeen years from 1990 to 2007. It includes an Education Wing, the Malinovskis Auditorium, and an exhibit wing that includes … Continue reading An Analysis of the “Land Community” Beliefs and Efforts of the Pioneers Park Nature Center in Correlation with Aldo Leopold’s A Sand County Almanac
By William Richards Nebraska’s twenty-three Natural Resource Districts (NRDs) share one mission: to collectively “conserve, sustain, and improve our natural resources and environment” (nrdnet.org). Established in 1972, the NRDs were tasked by state law with solving issues revolving around flood control, soil erosion, irrigation run-off, and groundwater quantity and quality issues, the latter of which has grown in emphasis in recent years (nrdnet.org). Nebraska approaches districting different than other states, opting to draw district boundaries based on natural river basin boundaries rather than appropriating by county – a strategy adopted by the majority of the country. In order to accomplish … Continue reading A Reconciliation: Aldo Leopold’s Ethics and Nebraska’s Natural Resource Districts
By Abaigeal Nicholas On a planet that is experiencing environmental degradation at a rapid pace every day, we desperately need ecological warriors fighting battles to save the sanctity of our planet. The University of Nebraska- Lincoln (UNL) Wildlife Club is one notable group fighting for our Earth within our own community. I chose to research this club, because I was curious about the wildlife efforts on my own campus and I was interested in searching for ways that one can help the environment at a local level. According to their website, the UNL Wildlife Club aims to encourage humans and … Continue reading Aldo Leopold and the UNL Wildlife Club